Rock and Roll will ruin your life if you let it. Please won’t you let it?
I am so incredibly honored and grateful that I get to work with two of my musical and personal idols, Martin Rivas and Zach Jones
A song of our love of rock and roll, and the quest for SONGS that keeps us alive. Martin put it best -
“A celebration of the ones who make rock and roll, well, rock and roll. The dusty-record-bin hunters, seeking salvation in every sound on the platter and every image on the sleeve... the diehard arena gods of the future, cutting their teeth in poorly-soundproofed garages and rickety venues across the globe... the kids too young to cheer up front, relegated to the back of the club but screaming loudest nonetheless....”
Give it a listen(or 10), won’t you?! - Available at all your favorite online retailers and streaming services!
Welcome to GregMayo.net! The website keeping you up-to-date on all of Greg's producing and touring adventures and projects.
IT’S OUT EVERYWHERE! Go listen!
Today marks the beginning of a new chapter in my musical life. This is the first song I’ve released under the name ‘Greg Mayo’ since 2006.
I am a different artist than I was then, I’m not even sure I’d call myself an ‘artist’ anymore. Whatever I am, I’ll say I’ve never been more comfortable with my role in musical/recording projects, and in the studio in general. Over the past several years, I’ve had the honor to learn from and grow alongside some of my favorite people in the world, too many to name here. You know who you are, and I love you. .
I am SO proud of this project. This WHOLE project. Starting with Alone Again with Akie Bermiss, and continuing with all the songs with other incredible artists that will be shared in the months to come. I’m thrilled to be putting them out in the world, and even more thrilled that you might spend a couple minutes listening and talking about em.
THANK YOU. Stay tuned...
YES, it’s been 13 years since I made a truly solo record. Don’t bother looking for my old work, it’s not out there anymore. And if you already have it, well... good on you and thank you! Since then it’s been a few wonderful years with Greg Mayo and The Groove, then The Greg Mayo Band. Then followed by Brooklyn Sugar Company. In addition to writing and recording with these lovely people, I’ve had the honor and pleasure to produce records for other artists in a plethora of styles. I’ve acquired somewhat of a sound along the way. SO, I finally feel ready to put out something with my name on it.
I’ve been telling friends it’s somewhat of a Producer record, in the lineage of Quincy Jones and Mark Ronson. I’ve been writing and co-writing with some of my very favorite people, who also happen to be some of the most talented people I’ve ever met. Some songs will feature other singers, some will be just little-old-me. What style? Who cares! What topics? Whatever we feel like! I’m just trying to make music that I would want to hear. I’ll be releasing the tunes in A/B side singles starting soon, STAY TUNED!
Otherwise - Spring has sprung! And the rain is following me around the country and around the world. Paris last week, it hailed TWICE in 1 day. Atlanta, thunderstorms. This week, Detroit... Gorgeous! haha I’m having a blast.
Runaway to Paradise with Jon Bon Jovi was a HUGE hit. 4 and a half days on a cruise ship, Miami to the Bahamas - playing tunes for the best fans in the world. Catching rays and drinking rosé. Catch the next one! Sailing from Barcelona to Mallorca at the end of August!
Next week I’m in Detroit, back with REVOLUTION: A SYMPHONIC BEATLES EXPERIENCE. SO much fun to play that music, backed by a few of my favorite people and a damn SYMPHONY. If you find yourself in Detroit next week (or Minneapolis next month), come on out and see us! Check my tour dates for season 2 starting in October!
Check back for updates! I promise I’ll write here more often ;) Thank you! GM
Folks! The season of Holiday is upon us! It also happens to be the season of my birth, so... you know... double whammy. Traditions abound - dinner with the family, exchanging presents, sledding around the local golf course... and of course - The Greg Mayo Christmas Spectacular!! This year is EXTRA special, because we'll be releasing a Holiday EP at the show! Here's all the info -
Greg Mayo Band Christmas Spectacular!
December 20th - 8pm
Rockwood Music Hall Stage 2
21+ FREE SHOW
- In other news, new music coming soon! The Robbie Gil Band EP3 is finished and ready to hit your ears! Release show slated for Nov 17th at Rockwood 2.
- My mates BSKi, Steven Salcedo and I recorded a cover of the Stevie Wonder classic You Haven't Done Nothin'. I was a pile of nerves leading up to the recent midterm elections and I felt we needed to shake some of it out in a positive way. Thank the universe for Whitney G-Bowley and GiG. She was feeling exactly the same way and happens to be a brilliant dancer/choreographer. We all put our heads together, and came up with this! As topical today as it's ever been -
... And finally, a slightly cryptic message - Something really cool coming relatively soon. A project I've been thinking about for a long time is finally in the works. More on that as it materializes.
Hey all! Just a quick post today. The new BSKi single and video are out on all online streaming and downloading platforms! Go check it out when you have a second! OR, just watch it here! Produced, engineered and mixed by yours truly! Enjoy...
Spread the word! Thanks, GM
Hey hey hey! We got us heatwave after heatwave here in NYC, I’m sitting in a coffee shop (the usual when I’m writing these updates), trying to stay cool before yet another outdoor gig in 97 degree heat and 94% humidity. A winning combination for us guitar players.
DONE COMPLAINING, I promise. I’ve been having the time of my life traveling for gigs over the past few months. From Nice, France with Jon Bon Jovi and friends to Portland, Oregon with Blood Sweat and Tears to wedding after wedding in the Hamptons, all is well!
I’ve been holding out on you… I spent most of June working on a super secret TV project for FOX. Well, I can finally talk about it! It’s called Masked Singer. It’s a celebrity based singing s… you know what.. just watch the trailer. I produced a bunch of the tracks these masked singers are singing to! Airs January 2019!
Otherwise, in studioland we have a release date and accompanying release show for BSKi’s new single! August 29th at Joe’s Pub, be there!
I’ll keep you posted on everything else as it happens. Thanks for stopping by! GM
When young people ask me what the daily life of musician is like, I never know what to say. Truly, no two days are alike, not in the slightest. I got back from the Leslie DiNicola tour in January and a few days later had my first gig with Blood Sweat and Tears! Yep, I've started playing on and off with them, which has been an absolute honor. That music is a welcome challenge, stretching my brain and my hands. I'll be doing a handful of dates with them over the next couple months! Check the tour page for all the info!
In studioland I've been mixing, mixing, and more mixing. Actually, as I type I'm listening back to the masters of Suzi Shelton's forthcoming record! Produced, engineered, and mixed by yours truly and my good friend Dan Weiner! If you and your family are into kindie music, methinks you will flip out for this record.
In other news, I'm finishing the mix for BSKi's new single, Robbie Gil's new EP and even a single I'm producing for longtime friend and INCREDIBLE singer, Chrissi Poland! Keep an eye on the horizon (or this website) for all the details and release dates! Thanks for stopping by! GM
A couple years ago, during both of our 4th viewings of The Force Awakens, one of my best pals, Zach Jones whispered to me, ‘that’s a pretty good band name’... and ‘that’s a good name for a song’. Kanjiklub and ‘Back To Jakku’ were conceived! A week later he called and showed me what would become the title track. It’s been a long pregnancy, but our debut record is finally born!
We formed a band of rebels along with Steven Salcedo, Chris Anderson, Christopher Kuffner, and Oscar Albis Rodriguez, and the rebellion grows stronger by the day! You don’t have to be a Star Wars fan to dig the record, but if you are it’s all the better.
BIG thank you to Jonathan Jetter at Right Angle Recording for mastering and Martin Rivas for the artwork.
Check it out on bandcamp, and soon on iTunes and Spotify and all the others.
LOTS to discuss... Wow. I've been spending more time in the studio than I ever could have hoped for. It's been an AMAZING few months. And the fruits of my friends and my labor are starting to mature into buyable products!
- The first of 4 EPs by The Robbie Gil Band (formerly just Robbie Gil and the confusing Robbie Gil and the Band, sometimes referred to as Robbie and the Gil Band... long story) has a release date! It will be out in the world DECEMBER 8th. We will be celebrating the release of Happy? Side a the only way we know how... with a show at Rockwood Stage 2! That very night at 9pm! The record will be available for preorder next week! Stay tuned!
- One of my best friends in the world, Zach Jones has a group called Zach Jones and the Tricky Bits. Zach gave me the honor of mixing their incredible sophomore EP, Are You A Hologram?. Incredible isn't even the word... But it's all I got. It's coming out on November 18, stay tuned for that as well!
- For many years, I've been working with my friend and wonderful kid's artist Suzi Shelton (she's not a kid, she plays kids music). She tapped my friend (and her drummer) Dan Weiner and I to produce her latest record! We've been in and out of the studio over the past few months working on that as well. She's launching a KICKSTARTER campaign to help fund the completion of this record. If you, or your kids might be into GREAT kids music... stay tuned for the link to that as well!
- I'm also in the middle of working on a new single with my buddy BSKi - Dream To Wake Up To is a fan favorite at shows, and might be my favorite tune of ours. I'm REALLY excited to put it on proverbial wax and get it out to you in the near future as well! In English AND Spanish!
There's more... but this is enough for now I think. Thanks for stopping by! GM